|Name:||1:1 Volunteer Companion in the Somerset Mental Wellbeing Service Team (SMWS)|
|Organisation:||Compass Disability Services|
To act as safeguarding support for the SMWS Navigators (MIND), in attending first visits to clients with them and to provide additional 1:1 support for clients at the request of the Navigators when appropriate.
• To visit the client with a Navigator in his/her own home or outside the home at an agreed venue at a time agreed with the Client
• To provide practical and emotional support to the navigator while with the client
• If appropriate to provide 1:1 Support for that client or other clients on a short term basis after the first visit to enable the client to access his/her community
• At the end of any 1:1 session apart from first visits to complete a record of the session and any further action required. This will then be passed onto the Navigator to be updated onto Charity Log.
• To demonstrate sensitivity when communicating with people who are clients of the Service.
• To show an understanding of the client and his/her issues.
• To help the client and the navigator feel relaxed and secure.
• To establish and maintain appropriate boundaries with any relationship with the client and the navigator.
• To have the ability to work alone, unsupervised, using his/her own initiative.
• To be reasonably flexible in the hours of volunteering, to meet the needs of the client and the navigator.
• To be able to travel to and from the client’s home (within an accessible distance).
• To be contactable by telephone.
• To understand the need to contact the Navigator if any problems arise.
• To be able to maintain confidentiality.
• To be able to demonstrate reliability, consistency, responsibility and honesty.
• To be non-judgmental.
• To undertake an induction and participate in training as required by the role.
• To have an understanding of and commitment to Equal Opportunities.
• To undertake an enhanced DBS Check before commencing the role.